This Mississauga based organization is seeking an experienced optical and camera engineer to simulate, design and test complex optical systems involving both 2D and 3D sensors.
You be responsible for the full definition, simulation and design of optical path for complex 2D and 3D camera systems including lens and camera selection, lens parameters calculation, multi-lens systems, lens testing, and characterization. In addition to definition and design of illumination system for any given design including illumination characteristics requirements, evaluation, testing, and characterization. You will also define and design imaging system calibration methodology. Identify potential issues in optical systems and computer vision algorithms that may impact performance, and create test plans and automated evaluation methodologies for complex optical systems and computer vision algorithms involving both 2D and 3D sensors
- Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university in Optics, Computer Science, Physics or Imaging Science
- Preferred graduate degree (Masters/PhD in the field of optics, computer vision, physics)
- 3+ years of camera and optical system development
- Understanding of optical physics and major principles of simulation and design of optical systems
- Experience developing compact, small, miniature or micro-optical systems
- Experience with 3D dimensioning technologies (ToF, Lidars, Rangefinders, structured light) and image processing algorithms
- Experience with optical design and image evaluation tools such as OpticStudio (Zemax), Code V, Imatest, etc.
- Experience with Matlab, C++
- Knowledge of imaging sensor characteristics, sensor selection and evaluation, camera selection and integration, testing and characterization
- Ability to write simple camera evaluation and test programs (C++, etc.) for a selected camera (given camera API) for Linux, Windows
- Knowledge of image processing concepts: exposure fusion, HDR, “focus from defocus”, etc…
- Knowledge of various optical properties of materials.
- Knowledge of optical parameters for 3D sensors: ToF, Structured Light, Stereo systems.
- Imaging system quality assurance and testing integrated solution
- Able to grasp new concepts quickly
- Able to adapt and use these patterns in innovative ways to develop custom solutions
- Able to take initiative on issues and report results instead of waiting for task lists
- Good presentation skills, both prepared and “on demand” talks